In December 2022 the Spanish Congress approved the Start-ups Law with the support a majority of the chamber, it creates a visa for international teleworkers.
In force since January 1, 2023, the new legislation allows self-employed professionals and foreign employees to enter and reside in Spanish territory for at least five years.
REQUIREMENTS FOR DIGITAL NOMAD VISA IN SPAIN
The list of requirements is not too extensive, but it is essential to know it in detail to understand if as an applicant you meet all of them:
- First, demonstrate that you are an international teleworker posted in Spain.
- On the other hand, it will also be crucial to prove that of all your income, those from Spain do not account for more than 20%.
- Demonstrate that there is a continuous employment relationship of at least three months with the company for which you telework, in addition to demonstrating that your position allows teleworking and the company authorizes it,
- This company or companies with which the teleworker establishes a relationship must have been operating in the market for at least 1 year
- Contract of at least 1 year with the company
- The applicant’s academic and professional profile must be sufficient. Here are two options. First, have graduated from a prestigious university or business school; or demonstrate previous experience of at least 3 years.
- Demonstrate possession of at least €26,000 in a bank account (it can be a foreign bank account)
- In addition, we also find the general requirements applicable to the rest of residence permits:
- Provide your criminal record certificate with a minimum validity of 90 days
- Submit a responsible statement of the absence of a criminal record in the last 5 years
- Not having the entry prohibited in Spain
- Have private health insurance
- Pay the fee 790 038
TAX BENEFITS FOR DIGITAL NOMADS IN SPAIN
Digital nomads who apply for a visa under the new start-up law will also have great tax benefits.
Well, applicants can access a very favourable tax regime for all of them; offering greater flexibility to pay and access income tax for non-residents (the type of taxes they must pay since their economic centre of interest is not in Spain).
This would suppose a reduction in the taxes that these foreign teleworkers would pay; because up to €600,000 they would pay 24% of their income derived from work instead of paying a progressive rate that can reach up to 48% (something very similar to the Beckham Law).
On the other hand, the conditions to access this reduced rate tax (the IRNR) are lowered, going from 10 to 5 years the required period of non-tax residence in the country.
This special tax regime can be requested up to 6 months after obtaining the residence authorization as a digital nomad; and may be enjoyed for 5 years (later it would be transferred to the general regime).
In addition to all this, for the rest of the taxes they will be considered as non-residents for tax purposes.
This means that they should not pay wealth tax or complete the 720 information model; something that undoubtedly speeds up the life of the foreigner in the country.
ADVANTAGES OF DIGITAL NOMAD VISA IN SPAIN
Advantages of the spanish digital nomad visa:
- One of the main characteristics of this visa is that it is part of the Entrepreneurs Law or Law 14/2013.
- We have already seen one of the great advantages that this entails (the fact of being able to start the application directly from Spain as a tourist), but there is more:
- First of all, if you request this permit you will enjoy an express resolution in just 20 business days (vs. 3 months for permits under the general regime)
- The applicable administrative silence is positive, so if you do not receive notification after these 20 days your application will be considered approved
- You can include your relatives in the application, and they can also obtain residence
- The time with this residence counts for permanent residence and for Spanish nationality
- Once you get this permit, you can travel freely throughout the European Union
For more information, please call us on +34 952 76 55 41 or e mail us on email@example.com